Wednesday 6 June 2012

Kinlochbervie to Hebrides

Sunday 3rd to Wednesday 6th June (Route http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/105767
)
The weather gods were harsh in granting such a wet day for the many thousands on the Thames for HM's Jubilee flotilla, while giving a sunny F5 for the few lucky sailors in the Hebrides. I enjoyed a brisk run across to Stornoway, Lewis.

There I met a Scotsman, an Irishman and a Frenchman; they were discussing the state of this year's pack ice off Greenland. Goodness! I'm out of my league round here, thinking the Hebrides were a long way north!

Yesterday (Tuesday) was a gentle sail down here to Scalpay, Harris, made memorable by a close encounter with a minke whale, supremely effortlessly powerful as it eased itself through the water 15 metres away (it also gave me a fright!). (Angus, a warm Hebridean sailor I've met, tells me it's not unusual, but for me it was special); and also the goose-winged sail under Scalpay bridge, which seemed awefully close to the top of Misty's mast.


In need of exercise, today I've enjoyed a long walk. Here I am resting in front of Eilean Glas lighthouse, with Shiant Islands behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment