Sunday 10 June 2012

Hebrides to Gairloch

Thursday-Saturday, 7th-9th June
http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/106014


Here's a picture fit for your Hebrides Calendar 2013! Leaving early from Scalpa it was picture-postcard-calm. And at last a dolphin appeared as the camera shutter clicked; it was one of lots that accompanied my sail back to the mainland. I'm convinced they like my singing because, if I'm quiet, they lose interest and swim away. (No-one else has ever rated my singing.)

I visited a couple of spots in Loch Ewe, while it was quite windy (though nothing like the Isle of Wight) and I didn't want to venture out. At Inverewe, there are well-known gardens (National Trust for Scotland). I rowed ashore and landed there and lurked off, feeling like Peter Rabbit in Mr McGregor's garden; though the gardens were't yet open for the day, and no-one was there.

Now I'm tucked up in Gairloch (26 miles sailed for a car journey that would have been less than 5 miles. It's often the other way round.)

It feels quite crowded and there are four other visiting sailing boats here, including Swede and Frenchman.We're tied up among fishing boats and tripper boats with glass bottoms; and I know it's not the Solent but after Orkney it feels busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment