Sunday 19 August 2012

Falmouth to Cawsand

Wednesday 15th to Saturday 18th August
Ruan Creek-Truro-Ruan Creek-Cawsand
(route http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/111801 )
Progress has been slow because the weather's been horrid and I don't want to go home anyway! But, if the weather has to be wet and windy, then Falmouth and Truro are fine places to visit. In Truro, Misty sat in a soft muddy berth, close to both the Cathedral and a giant Tesco store which, between them, provide most human needs I suppose. (No, I'm not being serious, not very.)

Soft mud and Truro cathedral

It was good to see Bill and Janet, the friendly helpful couple, who sold me my first cruiser, a Centaur, from a nearby creek a few years ago. They came aboard for supper.

A bus trip to Falmouth reminded me how beautifully maritime and bright it is, even in the rain. Falmouth and Cowes must rank as the two greatest sailing meccas of England. In Cowes though, the sailors are as concerned about their aftershave as their boat, in Falmouth I feel they'd prefer a can of WD40, and they gather to discuss their trip round Cape Horn rather than their thrash around the cans. The sailor girls are of course equally glamorous in both, and both towns seem to harbour identical boaty fashion shops and bunting.

Company for the sail to Plymouth
Cawsand - very peaceful
Yesterday, I slowly sailed and motored over to Cawsand near Plymouth. I was last here for the Silhouette Owners' Rally picnic in about 1967!

No comments:

Post a Comment